Thursday, May 14, 2009

Needles and Nurses

I just had a great experience at student health with the travel nurse who was patient, informative, and all-around incredibly helpful. I know nurses are often seriously overworked, and at student health in particular I've had a few visits with nurses and PAs who were just not really paying attention at all. But, should any of you be in IC and in need of information or vaccinations for traveling abroad, definitely head to student health and talk tot Gayle. She's great.

I had a number of vaccinations I needed boosters for or just needed for the first time, so my arms are gonna be sore for a while (especially my left arm with the tetanus shot. agh.) but I am feeling confident about my ability to live in China for a year and at least not be any sicker than I usually am in Iowa. It'll do.

Plus, I get to talk about all of the intimidating illnesses which I have already stopped in their tracks. Next week I'll take pills for a typhoid vaccine and when I depart I'll take malaria treatment with me. Surely that means I'll be having an adventure, no? Typhoid and malaria aren't risks if there ain't adventure involved, I'm reasonably confident. :)

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how a few needle pricks can make an impending adventure all the more tangible.

    I am so excited for you, and can't wait to keep up with your big adventure through your blog. And congratulations on your graduation! Whatever the future holds for you, may it bring you happiness and fulfillment.

    ReplyDelete