Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The wisdom's in the trees// Not the glass windows

I have been stressing a bit recently. I have not been having a bad time. I have already, in fact, celebrated my birthday twice. Shirin's birthday was on Monday, so on Saturday she and Rong Fan and Xiaoxuan and I ate hotpot. Hotpot is, I think, from Mongolia, and involves a pot of boiling water (kept boiling by a burner in the table) in the center of the table and ordering whatever ingredients you want to eat. I really like mutton and tofu "skin" (羊肉 and 豆腐皮). Shirin and I then got hour-long oil massages for about $10. On Monday Shirin invited me and two other friends to her place and we made curry and drank tea.

Today I am bringing chocolates to my first class, since today may be the only time in my life that I have class on my birthday and I have never had the opportunity to be the kid who brought birthday treats before. I have been waiting long, but I won in the end.

Then I'm going back to the bookstore where Xiaoxuan and Xiaochun took me and gonna buy myself an idiom (成语) dictionary, and perhaps something else. Got sweet mugs there. We'll see.

The weather here is quite nice. It is a sunny 50 degrees for my birthday today. I miss snow, but I'm hopeful we'll get a bit sometime in the next few months. We are very lucky to have central heat in our buildings, which was not permitted when most of the buildings in Nanjing were built, so many people are very cold in the winter.

Anyway, to stop the stressing, today is going to be a day for praying and meditating and eating chocolate and not worrying about school. Hopefully this will help me to be clear and focused enough tomorrow to make real progress on papers again. It will definitely make me happier about whatever I do.

I love you!

Today's title brought to you by Breakdown by Jack Johnson

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there Kara. Glad you had a nice birthday.

    Stress never seems to go away does it. When I have deadlines looming, I always think, "ok, once I get this done, life is going to be so great. No more stress!"

    But as soon as I finish one thing, I realize there are all these other tasks that I need to get to. It never really stops.

    So just as you described, I guess we just have to manage our stress by doing relaxing things that make us happy, instead of trying to banish stress completely.

    Good luck with you papers!

    ReplyDelete