Sunday, February 13, 2011

Education questions

I have pretty confidently decided on pursuing a masters in education/teaching certificate in the states, and then doing montessori certification afterwards. This will let me work with middle school aged students, as a montessori certificate alone almost definitely would not any time soon, and continue to learn about the montessori children's-minds-focused method of teaching/assisting students to learn.

I have been trying to find ways to break the large topic of education into pieces that I can realistically write about in separate blog posts-- I'm actually encouraged by how hard it's been because it's showing me how close I am to this topic and how big it is in my mind. It's a lot easier to see things that are farther away. However, I really do want to investigate this through writing. I want to write about my own educational experiences and what I have learned about how I learn, and about different educational philosophies. So! This is a placemarker/pledge to pick a small piece and start writing next week!

To begin with, here are some ideas I have been investigating:

Ken Robinson: "Schools Kill Creativity" and "Bring on the Learning Revolution" (talks on ted.com)
E. M. Standing: "Montessori: Her Life and Work" (book, which I highly recommend to any interested in investigating how they learn and what they believe about their minds)

I would love recommendations for things to read about education and cognitive development (especially for adolescence)!

2 comments:

  1. You should look into how inequality effects education. Children growing up in low-SES environments typically have less books in their house. Also, working class parents typically talk to their children more in the form of commands than white-collar parents do. That can hinder a child's educational opportunities and cognitive development by limiting their capacity for general language and social skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The effects of low-ses environments effects on learning is shocking. Jonathan Kozol is a must read for anyone who lives in the United States, and esp. if you want to teach here!

    The article, "The effect of violence and stress in kids brains" changed my view of the world.

    As did attachment theory. And Montessori. She is my hero. She was nothing short of inspired. Abdu'l-Baha called her the greatest philosopher of that age.

    Keep posting Kara! I would love to read your thoughts and learning on this topic particularly.

    ReplyDelete