Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Music making the world a better place: K'naan

I've been having a great month as far as music discoveries go, and my favorite is probably K'naan. He's a Somali who's been living in Canada since 1991; he and his mother got out on the last plane. His music is rap/hiphop/rock, a different sound from a lot of the music I have, and I am really enjoying the change. His lyrics in a few songs, however, are absolutely incredible.

The first song I found of his is called Dreamer (linked to youtube). The line "We alive, man. It's ok to feel good" made me glow all afternoon the first time I heard it.

A heavier song is Soobax, which he sings to the warlords in Somalia.

My favorite is probably Take a Minute. It is so real and so powerful, and so incredibly sweet and forgiving.

T.I.A. stands for This Is Africa, and since two weeks in Egypt comprise my entire experience of that continent, I'm not qualified to tell you anything other than this is a badass song.

That's all! Happy listening, and Happy Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment