Sunday, November 15, 2009

I'm not sure how I got so lucky

I will try to tell you about my last week. No, it’s too much, I will sum up :P

Okay, so last Wednesday began more or less normally. I walked around the city a bit in the morning running errands, went to International Politics and learned a lot (the unusual item in that class being the announcement of a test next week of which we internationals, at least, had been completely unaware). I spent my two-hour afternoon break online doing nothing in particular. I went to Anthropology and learned some, and had some trouble following my professor’s train of thought. Class ended, a classmate asked me if I was hungry, I told her I sure was, and we started towards the cafeteria.

Normal so far, yes? We switch to the present tense, the better to keep up with the events.

Halfway down the stairs from our classroom, I glance ahead to the lobby area, where I see Christian Yetter. But this is impossible, so I stop and stare. (I am told for about ten seconds. I am told with a rather hostile expression.) The apparation continues to smile at me and look exactly like Christian Yetter, so I continue walking down the stairs. Slowly. (I am told that the hostile expression accompanies me). This cannot actually be real. I have accepted that after the last time I saw Christian Yetter -at the end of July- I will not see him again until I fly to Korea in January. I begin to wonder if I am asleep. However, attempts to pull myself out of dreaming come to nothing, and I can clearly remember a whole normal day before this point. I keep walking. Zero seems to equal one no matter how I turn the facts around.

About halfway down the stairs the 服务员 at the desk enters my field of vision. She looks at me quizzically and points at Christian. She can see him too. I start to walk a little faster, I think. I end up in front of what I have almost accepted is, in fact, Christian Yetter. I repeat the word "How?" a number of times. My friend (I realized later) says she'll see me later.

Christian Yetter is a jerk.

(I was considering going a different direction in that last sentence, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stick with the "jerk" line.)

He accompanied me as I fumbled around in confusion back to my dorm room, then most of the way to the cafeteria, then off campus to a dumpling restaurant instead.

He flew back to Korea this afternoon. I am hopeful that he landed almost an hour ago. I got him on the way to the airport a couple of hours before his flight, but he hasn't been able to get online or had a cell phone he could use to call and tell me if he made it okay.

It was a good five days. You're a good'un, Christian Yetter.

1 comment:

  1. rofl Best account of reality-distorting visit ever.

    I AM GLAD YOU ENJOYED HIS PRESENCE, KARA PRIOR, BECAUSE IT WAS HELL GETTING HIM THERE. HELL, I SAY. AND I DIDN'T EVEN DO MOST OF THE WORK. (That was Thai-An ;P)

    ReplyDelete