Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"Look up at the sky. Ask yourselves: is it yes or no? Has the sheep eaten the flower?"

I have been delighted to discover over this Thanksgiving break that there is a cornucopia of English-language literature on the internet. I read The Little Prince again today, and am seven chapters into On Human Bondage by W. S. Maugham. I also read (mostly) a Chinese article on globalization for International Politics. I intended to get some writing done on my Anthropology essay; I listened to a lot of music and have greatly improved by sudoku-solving-time.

I took a walk the other day, and am going to finally upload a few photos of our corner of Nanjing:














Whose dog is this, you might want to ask?
I have no idea, so it would probably be better not to.

This is Beijing West Road- 北京西路- the street our dorm window looks out on (though we're up at tree-top level on the third floor).


Looking the other way! There is a bike/motorcycle/scooter lane on each side of most roads here, separating smaller, more vulnerable vehicles from the car traffic in the middle.








This one is cool! There are these strips in the sidewalks all over China, ostensibly for blind people to follow with their canes. The dots in the distance signal a change of direction or material. Sadly, every Chinese I have asked about them assures me they have never actually see a blind person use them. Good try, though, guys.
... I spend a lot of my time thinking about these as I walk around town.

So, uploading photos is ridiculously slow, and I am afraid that I am giving up. Those three just took the better part of an hour of clicking "upload" and fiddling on the internet and waiting...

Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment