Sunday, November 1, 2009

Put heart, I'm coming on a horse

There are so many levels of comprehension that I am struggling with. When doing readings for class I struggle with the vocabulary, I struggle with the implications of the basic information being presented, and I struggle with the implications of authors' choices to use some words and not others. I am beginning to appreciate the common vocabulary used by Chinese authors and how it is different from Western ones- 'radical' and 'revolutionary' are the same word, for example- but really only beginning. I'm still getting up to 20 new vocab words per page of reading (less if I decide to just read for an overview and not try to understand everything, or it is a Civil Law reading which repeats the words "civil rights and liberties" and "civil responsibilities" enough to account for half of the vocab on their own).

The language is fascinating enough that I really can't complain. I am simply certain that by the end of the year I might be fluent in Chinese compared to most Americans, but I will still be a far cry from fluent compared to the average Chinese.

My title is a choppy translation of a sentence in Chinese: "放心,我马上来" which should be translated as "don't worry, I'll be right there."

Hmm. More later. I'm trying to post at least once a week, so here you go for now!

Also! Please feel free to leave comments or email meeeee! and tell me about your life. I am so grateful to be able to share my thoughts and experiences with you through this blog, but I feel a little full of myself doing all the talking :)

Love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment